Friday 6 February 2009

Slang the Second

I've clearly got nothing better to do than write random musing blog posts (in the word's of Alicia Silverstone, as if!), so here is another serving of fine London slang for all the folks at home.

'innit - pronounced in-it very quickly - used to emphasise the preceding statement, to imply it as unquestionably true, or to seek an implicit assent from the conversation partner. Also seemingly sometimes used without any real function. Coming at the end of a sentences; ( a contraction of 'isn't it?' but with a broader meaning and usage).
Examples:
Young student 1: That boy is thick as shit 'innit.
Young student 2: Yea, he right dense.
Translation:
YS1: That boy is very stupid.
YS2: I agree, he is very dumb.
or:
London man on phone: Then I went to the shops, innit. I got this pair of trainers for 20 quid, innit. Credit crunch deals, innit.
Translation:
LMoP: Then I went to the store and bough a pair of sneakers for only £20, what a good deal! It's due to the financial crisis, I say.

brethren - pronounced as bred-drin - referring to one's friends, posse, 'crew', or homies, if you like.
Examples:
Threatening young man: You best get runnin' or I'm 'unna get muh bredren on ya'.
Threatened man: runs away.
Translation:
TYM: Leave now or I shall have my friends attack you.
Also:
Teenaged girl: And den he comes in wiv' all his bredren finkin he impressin' me, like I want him so bad. I really could not be bothered.
Translation:
TG: Then he walks in with his friends, thinking that the sight of him leading his group of friends would impress me. Wrong.

1 comment:

Abbey said...

i just laughed way louder than library etiquette allows....