Tuesday 14 October 2008

Slang

The UK is home to some of the most brilliant slang one could hope to hear. Some of it I cannot work out, as I cannot figure out how certain words would be spelled, given the difficulties with translating accents. However, its good stuff. Beyond slang, just colloquial words for everyday things can become an adventure in cutesy land. Here are some of the best slang and cute words I've come across:

Minger - pronounced: ming-uh - a very ugly person. (adj, minging) Example:
Lad 1: Oy, mate, check out dat Minger in da pink trainers.
Lad 2: Ahh mate, naw, she be right minging.
Translation:
Young hooligan 1: Oh, friend of mine, look over there at that unfortunate looking girl in the pink athletic shoes.
Young hooligan 2: I see! How awful, she is quite ugly.

Alright - pronounced: awl-rwight- hello, how are you?, good day, can i help you? etc.
Example:
Young Cashier: Alright?
Customer: Alright.
Translation:
Young Cashier: Hi there, welcome to Sainsbury's, do you have your Nectar card(discount membership card)?
Customer: Im doing well, thanks. No, I havent got (or: Yes, I have.)

Tings - pronounced: tings - very attractive, f**k (can be used as a verb, noun, and adjective)
Example:
Hormonal London teen: Check out dat girl over there, she buff tings.
Hormonal Friend: Dat's right mate, she is well fitter than that minger wot I tingsed last week when i was pissed.
Translation:
Hormonal London Teen: Hey, look at that girl over there, she is really hot and sexy.
Hormonal Friend: I agree, she is much better looking than that really ugly girl I slept with last week when I was drunk.

Biccies - pronounced: bick-ees - cookies (short form of biscuits)
I just think thats a cute one.

2 comments:

Abbey said...

I can't wait to practice my new british slang!!! Maybe I'll go visit the embassy...

Kat said...

Hee! You should turn your blog into a British-American slang dictionary. I'd definitely read more of these posts.